Strange but True
The 21 Irrational Things I Love and Am Woman Enough to Admit it:
1. Thunderstorms – the more violent the better; I find them exciting, though I’ve no idea why.
2. Books – some would not consider this irrational but I’m rather obsessed. I love the feel, the smell, the sound of the pages. I could easily live in a bookstore
3. Coffee – mornings, afternoons, evenings… but it has to be good coffee
4. Wildlife – all kinds of animals, but not penned up in a zoo; that breaks my heart. Unless of course it happens to be an escaped man-eating tiger.
5. Little boxes – strange hobby, I know. Kind of like the book thing. Most women collect shoes. Or diamonds. What can I say? I’m a cheap date!
6. The smell of lemons – so much so that I’m thinking of inventing a scent…
7. Words – words are powerful and versatile; they can stir up a huge range of emotions; big, small, arcane, I don’t care. I just love words and those who use them well
8. Rain – the soft kind falling on a summer’s day; refreshing, relaxing, renewing
9. Music – Duke Ellington might have been right; it really does feed the soul. It can bring back memories, reduce me to tears or giggles, make me dance or relax. I say, with Shakespeare, if music be the food of love, play on
10. Wolves – there’s something so hauntingly wild and beautiful about them. At a distance
11. The call of a loon – I’ve never heard them at dawn, across a lake shrouded in fog, but I know it would be fun; that mournful howl – if you hear it you’ll never forget
12. Someone playing with my hair – weird, I know. What it does to me depends on who’s doing the playing, and that’s all I’m gonna say about that
13. Accents – I don’t really care what kind, I’m attracted to accents. Must be the Brit in me
14. Water – ever since I was a small child I’ve always enjoyed water
15. Green apples – the smell affects me a lot like lemons, for some strange reason
16. Quiet – I love times of quiet in this busy life; I crave times of relaxation. I can go for hours sitting quietly praying and thinking and reading
17. Blue – this color draws me like a moth to a flame, though I have no idea why. Maybe it’s the water thing
18. The sound of a baby – it gives me hope for the future
19. Trees – I think I might be a natural-born tree hugger, as well as a health-nut and vegetarian to boot
20. Word games – I love words, remember? I’m me. And I’m OK with that
21. Horses – perhaps because it brings back happy childhood memories but there’s something about a horse that speaks of strength, endurance, beautiful and unforgettable
As long as we stay away from the cheesecake and ice-cream, we’ll be just fine.
Now you know mine, tell me, what are yours?
Kari, the thoughtful
original content, copyright © 2000, karigraceplace.com, all rights reserved